Tuesday, April 3, 2007

"Balancing Out the Races"



I'm sure everyone's heard about Angelina Jolie's latest adoption. I've stopped trying to make sense or overanalyze her newfound celebrity colonist mentality for my own mental health, but I just read an article that made me stop and think. Apparently, on Good Morning America a few months back, Jolie said about possible future adoptions:

"It might be good to balance the races so there's another African person in the house for Z [and] another Asian person in the house for Mad."

Great. Since when did orphaned Third World children become the latest bohemian celebrity fashion accessories? I guess transnational/transracial adoption has become the new pilaties for the guilt-wridden white soul.

There's an article in this month's edition of Colorlines that sums up most of my feelings on the matter. A more detailed analysis is to come soon, whenever time permits.

In the mean time, my old days of Angelina Jolie adoration are...yeah, pretty much over.

No comments: