Saturday, October 20, 2007

Awe

Awe: an overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration, fear, etc., produced by that which is grand, sublime, extremely powerful, or the like: in awe of God; in awe of great political figures.

or in this case in awe of a great artist.



I have watched this particular artist develop his style and technique for the last twenty years. I remember how out-of-control and outside the lines his drawing and coloring was. Not nearly as beautiful as my drawings of the Little Mermaid and perfect inside-the-lines coloring. I remember later when his third grade teacher saw something in him and encouraged him and taught him how to explore his talent. I remember realizing that there was something more than I had thought. I remember his doodles next to the computer that made me stop and stare at the complex shapes formed by his pen and wonder how someone could possibly make such intricate designs. I remember the high school art projects and then the larger canvas paintings and the graffiti art. I remember it all and with each step I am in awe of his raw talent, his mind, his heart and his soul.

Painting by Adam X. Garner.
(The photo may not be used without express permission

No comments: