Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Sex and the City


I saw the Sex and the City movie opening weekend. I wasn't very excited about seeing it but a friend of mine really wanted to go so I gave in and I have to say that it was awful. I was going to write a long post about it but Samhita at feministing beat me to it. Check out her post Sex and the City: A Trainwreck. She had me nodding in agreement the entire time.

The only redeeming part of the movie was Samantha's character, which for me was usually the only reason that I watched the show in the first place. Her character isn't without flaws and personally I'd like to see her a little less sexualized sometimes but for the most part she is the one woman that over and over presents herself as a strong woman that is in control of her life.

For those of you that have seen it I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Note: If you plan on seeing the movie wait to read the post, but after you see it check it out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember going to see a "Ironman," a whle back and seeing a preview for this. I remeber feeling angry that so many people were just so incredibly juiced to watch a moive about the lives of four wealthy white women in manhattan. I do believe that the writers of this show (which I may have watched before, possible a bunch of times with my lady *ahem* and maybe a few without her by myself) are incredibly good.

I havent seen this flick and prolly wont unless my partner takes me, but what I will say is that I'm fascinated by the way so many working-class Amerikans are drawn into shows like this, 90210, the OC, etc. about the lives of rich white people and the "problems," they face. =T

I wonder what it is about shows like these that is so alluring to us. I know for me personally after working a whole week at a public school running my After School Program for "at-risk" youth, sometimes an "urban drama" with young children of color being murdered is just "too much for Tuesday evening..." =( Shows like Sex & The City offer an escape into a world I don't know anything about as a Mixed race Asian Amerikan man from Richmond, Ca.

Samantha hella crazy tho. Charlotte needs to get over herself, cause she aint that special. Carrie needs to date an Asian brother and/or man of color. The red-head woman is the most "level" one and she got mad funnies.

I know a lil too uch about this show and just busted myself out on the internet for all the world to see.

Blessings,
C

Anonymous said...

Sex and the City seems to have a polarizing effect on both men and women... people either love the movie or they hate it; so far it seems like the "lovers" outnumber the "haters"